Sunday, November 14, 2010

Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti

Last week I made these peppermint chocolate biscotti. This is my main recipe for any chocolate biscotti I make. It's supposed to be a little healthier than normal biscotti recipes . . . but to liven them up I dipped them in peppermint chocolate. That's healthy right?

The recipe calls for them to be made with strong brewed coffee. Coffee haters have no fear . . . you can't even taste it. I think I'll make a more festive version of these for Christmas and put peppermint chunks in the dough and on the outside. In the meantime, here's the recipe in case you want to try it out. I think there's so many fun variations you can do with this. Don't worry, I'll let you know when I come up with new varieties. Let me know if you have any good ideas!

Prep: 30 minutes plus cooling
Bake: About 50 minutes
Makes: 48 biscotti

Ingredients:
3 Egg whites
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
2 Tbs strong brewed coffee
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 Cups flour
3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa
1 Tsp baking powder
1/4 Tsp baking soda
1/4 Tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease cookie sheet (I like to use parchment paper).
2. In a small bowl, beat together egg whites, oil, coffee (I used shots of espresso) and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl stir together flour and remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Shape mixture into two 12" by 1" logs. Place both on cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
4. Transfer logs to cutting board. Slice diagonally into scant 1/2 inch think biscotti. Arrange biscotti, cut side up, on cookie sheet.
5. Bake 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in airtight jar up to 1 month.

1 comment:

  1. yummmm..... your biscoooti makes me want to hold that in one hand and an espresso in the other. Can't wait to have the new machine (and you...) here for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete