Friday, October 24, 2008

A Mountain Girl Now?

I have always said that I hated hiking. So last weekend I decided to hike Half Dome in Yosemite and hopefully change my feelings on the issue. 14 hours, probably 15 miles or so. Ha. It was quite the adventure. Previously, I think the longest hike I had done was 3 miles . . . and I don't think I had ever even hiked carrying a backpack. My boss asked if I had done anything to get into shape for this. I wasn't sure what to make of that.

Anyway . . . all this came about because my dear friend Rebecca was coming and this was my opportunity to see her. So a little trek through the mountains was totally worth it.


We started our hike at 3:00 A.M. Let's just say we didn't really sleep much before we began. There were 7 of us in our little hiking posse. It was nice to make some new friends. They were very entertaining.


The goal was to make it to the top for sunrise, but we had a late start so we missed that. Next Time.


After many hours of hiking when we should have been sleeping, we finally made it! Well sort of. We didn't go all the way to the very top because the cables to climb the rest of the way weren't set up anymore. Next time. We hung out at the "top" for a bit. I felt very accomplished being there.


And before you know it . . . it's time to head back down the way we came and do it all over again. First we took a little snooze though. After all, we had been awake for a really long time.

The hike down definitely went faster, but it's brutal on your legs! This picture was taken after probably 12 hours of hiking . . . and we are still smiling :-) Ok, so the rest of the day wasn't documented because we were pretty much beat. We ate pizza before leaving Yosemite, stayed in Fresno for the night, and then went to the Yosemite Falls Cafe . . . in Fresno . . . for breakfast the next morning. Kind of ironic. But we sat in front of a waterfall in the restaurant. So that was cool.


Then it was time to take Rebecca to the train station. So sad. But I like this picture.



Overall it was a great weekend. It was so wonderful to see Reb, meet new people, and to be in the incredible beauty of Yosemite. And I am proud to say . . . I don't hate hiking anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Way to document our epic adventure Joce! You were such a trooper on that trip. I feel so honored you did it all because I was going :-)

    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete