Monday, April 26, 2010

Just to Let You Know . . .

Normally my blog is filled with the random things I do or discover or the things that make me excited. I've never been one to write deep personal stuff online for the entire world to see . . . and not that this is necessarily going to be like that; but there's been some interesting developments here in the last couple of days and faithful readers like yourselves should probably know.

I've been in my job as development assistant for almost 2 years now. I work with an awesome little team of 4 of us: three guys my parents' ages and older . . . and then me. But honestly, we all work really well together and have really come together as a team, especially over the last year.

On Friday my boss Jon, the director of development told us that he is leaving. He got a job as the new Executive Director for Covenant Pines, a camp out in Minnesota. It's the camp he grew up going to as a kid. This was very sudden and unexpected news to me . . . and the fact that he and his wife leave a week from Saturday makes it all feel so real so fast.

It's really hard to know what my job will look like over the next few months now. I doubt they'll hire anyone soon to replace him . . . so I think my job is going to get a lot harder very quickly. Once he's gone, I will be the only person in camp that spends 100% of a work week doing development stuff. The other 2 guys have their time split with jobs they have in other areas.

There's a part of me that thinks I'll be able to handle it no problem and at least keep us on track with all of our events, news publications, letters and mailing lists. But the other part of me wonders what I'm going to be getting myself into . I'm not sure if one of the other guys will take over or not. Probably. But still whatever happens and whatever direction we go, I'm sure it's going to feel very different.

But I'm hoping that with such a loss (more than 25% of my department) we won't lose the momentum we've established over the last couple of years. I'd hate to just be status quo and just "get by" with only the necessities getting accomplished. We'll see though.

Well, I just wanted to let you know . . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Jon? That does leave you quite alone and with a lot more responsibility. I'm praying for you. The cool thing is our God is in control and He orchestrates every detail that happens. Nothing is an accident and it is all part of the puzzle called your life!

    ReplyDelete